Name:
Location: Bloomfield, CT

This is about the never ending search for the best beer in the world. And that beer is apparently everywhere. Want me to try the beer you like or make? Great, tell me how to get it.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

January 8-- Gibbs resigns

Joe Gibbs will remain a special advisor to owner Dan Snyder but at 3PM he will resign as head coach and team President of the Washington Redskins..

The few players I spoke with this morning were suprised by the news and said he did not make the team feel inclined as if he was leaving following the final team meeting..

Gregg Williams does not have a clause in his contract that pays him a seven figure buyout should he not be Gibbs's successor.. It had been widely reported for a couple of years this was the case, but Skins sources I spoke with debunked it.. So there is no next in line..

More later today..

5 Comments:

Blogger dl004d said...

Doesn't he know the rules? You can't resign twice in a row! That's a 15-yard penalty.

9:27 AM  
Blogger digby909 said...

As a lifetime Redskins fan this is a sad day. I do believe that the glory days will return in the near future under a new coach. But JOE is the face and the spirit of the Redskins.

BTW, has anyone considered Russ Grimm as the new head coach? Talk about keeping the tradition alive!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gosh Bram, this plain sucks.

I was pulling some pictures of Coach Gibbs off of google earlier today to post on my blog and I almost got teary eyed. The pictures of Coach Gibbs celebrating after the Miracle in Dallas two years ago are the ones that almost did me in (viewable at rob-p.net).

Like you said on the radio earlier today, he truly proved his Hall of Fame qualities over the past couple weeks by drawing the team together and keeping the ship afloat.

After hearing what the players have said today, I think Mr. Snyder would be making a huge mistake not to hire Gregg Williams. I think Gregg would maintain the atmosphere that has been developed by Coach Gibbs. Most importantly, I don't think Gregg would feel the need to prove himself to everyone around by bringing in "his people" and making sure they knew "his way". Gregg learned a lot from THE coach over the past couple years and I think it's time to let him show it.

Besides....He's super smart, courageous, and can coach his guts out.

11:53 AM  
Blogger alexchilton said...

Wow, what a loss.. For me this just makes this year as a Skins fan that much harder.. I'm so glad I made the trip to Seattle and saw him Coach his last game.
Thank you and Good Luck Coach Gibbs!!

2:03 PM  
Blogger patrickhenry said...

I agree with all the sentiments posted. This team -- these 53 guys and all the coaches -- have Unfinished Business, and most of us were thinking that next year we would finish it.

It seems to me that the one thing this team has going for it is the bond that was formed after Sean Taylor's murder. Hiring someone who wasn't at ST's funeral can only loosen it. I think the team still feels it has unfinished business, and that points to Gregg Williams as being the best man to lead them.

But The Danny probably has other ideas. Sigh.

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home